vendredi 26 avril 2013

My Funny Valentine - Bill Evans, Jim Hall

Working the jazz piano requires to make transcriptions of great pianists. It's the best to understand what they play, to acquire their phrasing, and to learn new licks.


Couverture de l'album Undercurrent de Bill Evans et Jim Hall
One of my favorite jazz pianist is Bill Evans.

The first solo I wanted to transcribe is a version I love of My Funny Valentine. You can listen to it on album Undercurrent where Bill Evans plays in duo with guitarist Jim Hall.








The entire song is very long to transcribe so I advise to transcribe Bill solo at 3'20.


But if you feel comfortable with transcription, the entire song is good and you can learn many things : 
- Bill's phrasing is beautiful. And it's rare to hear this standard ballad played medium swing. Believe me: when  gigging I can't no more play it in ballad swing, and other musicians are often surprised when I ask to play it medium swing. 
- If you want to train yourself to left hand walking bass transcribe Bill's left hand when he accompanies Jim Hall at 1'40. I learned a lot from this walking bass !

You can listen to this record on Grooveshark here:
http://grooveshark.com/s/My+Funny+Valentine+alt+Take/438biY?src=5

Good luck and good transcription ! It's very long when you're a beginner but believe me it pays !

Photographie noir et blanc de Bill Evans et Jim Hall en plein travail


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire